Tuesday, April 26, 2016

St. George Marathon


Running a marathon has been a goal of mine for about 15 years.  Melanie called me and asked if I wanted to do the St. George marathon.  I did not feel ready and didn't really want to.  Being a very popular marathon, there is a lottery to get in and I thought I would never get in, so I agreed.  I am so glad she gave me that extra push because we won the lottery.  After 22 weeks of sore muscles, early mornings, and building miles, we arrived in St. George (via Vegas).  Melanie was the best coach and it was fun to check in weekly as we accomplished more miles and got more injuries.  I just wish we lived closer so we could have actually done the running/training together.  

Kazie and Bowman were the best chauffeurs and cheerleaders.  I left my cell phone in her car after she dropped us off at 4 a.m.  I had all my songs and an audible book to keep me entertained.  I was in a panic.  This great sister packed her sleeping baby back in the car and drove to me. 
  
Melanie rocked it in 3 hours and 30 minutes, qualifying for the Boston Marathon.  I finished in 4 hours and 7 minutes which was so much better than I imagined.  

The marathon was so well organized.  There were aid stations every mile after mile 15 with IcyHot and volunteers rubbing it on your legs.  This totally saved me.  I also ran with some ice on my hip for a couple miles.  I cried as I crossed the finish line.  All I could think of was how grateful I am for Ryan and my kids.  Ryan really made this possible by supporting and encouraging me.  It was such a wonderful reunion with Kazie and Melanie.  I would run a marathon just to spend time with them.


No comments: